DSP: Direct Support Professional
These Hoosiers provide services to individuals with disabilities, children & families in more than 70 counties in Indiana. The average DSP worker is a single mother, age 35 with 2 children, making roughly $10.00 - $11.36 per hour.
A DSP's Responsibilities:
- Provide instruction and training in a variety of life skills, such as: meal preparation, safety, relationship-building, etc.
- Attend to daily self-care needs (i.e. feeding, toileting, etc) in a way that signifies respect and dignity.
- Assist in maintaining a clean environment, sanitize, complete detailed cleaning and perform those tasks beyond the individual’s ability to complete.
- Provide transportation to and from community activities.
- Instruct workplace skills such as: work place behavior, task completion and attendance.
- Ensure individuals receive necessary benefits such as food stamps, housing assistance and social security.
- Document any schedule of medication administration to include monitoring of side effects if required.
- Assist with scheduling and running medical appointments.